Late Monday night, five people were shot during a protest in Minneapolis, Minnesota for the shooting of 24-year old Jamar Clark. Clark was shot and killed by the Minneapolis police Sunday. According to witnesses, Clark was handcuffed and on the ground, while officers involved say he was not.

As this tragic story continues to develop, here’s everything we know so far:

 

 

  1. The Shooting at the protest was seemingly unprovoked.

Eyewitnesses at the protest claimed  three White men showed up and began to taunt protesters. Some witnesses claim one of the men wore a mask.

19 year-old Ji Wronski-Riley told NBC  the three men were”yelling and being aggressive and it was obvious they were here to antagonize and confront people.”

When the taunting and ranting became too much, a group of some 25 protesters began to “escort” the three men out, by moving the crowd forward, forcing them away and up the block.

While most of the protesters returned to the site of the protest, a few lingered to ensure that the men did not return. At this point witnesses claimed that the men turned around and opened fire on the remaining protesters  injuring the five.

Everything We Know the Minneapolis Shooting So Far - Jawbreaker

2. No Injuries are life threatening.

All five people who were shot, were protesters taking part in the week- long demonstration for the murder of Jamar Clark. All of them were transported to local hospitals with non-life-threatening injuries including gunshot wounds.

3. No one confirmed shooters as White supremacists.

Police are continuing the hunt for the three White male suspects still at large.

When the story broke on Twitter many, including the Minneapolis division of Black Lives Matter, claimed the three suspected gunmen were in fact White supremacists.

The allegations of White supremacist shooters, stems from social media posts and chat room threads of alleged White supremacists planning to show up at demonstrations to disrupt and cause harm.

Minneapolis NAACP president Nekima Levy-Pounds explained, “Everyone has been on high alert because in the last several days there have been lots of conversations of white supremacists’ websites and chatrooms, where they talked about coming to the protests. They talked about having weapons and also doing things that would agitate the crowd and incite confrontation between police officers and protesters.”

Local law enforcement have not confirmed the allegations of White supremacists involvement. Police spokesman, John Elder, stated that it is “way too early in this investigation.”

4.Jamar Clark’s family wants peace.

Just hours after the shooting, Jamar Clark’s brother. Eddie Sutton, released a statement calling for a halt in protests.

“Thank you to the community for the incredible support you have shown for our family in this difficult time,” said Sutton. “We appreciate Black Lives Matter for holding it down and keeping the protests peaceful. But in light of tonight’s shootings, the family feels out of imminent concern for the safety of the occupiers, we must get the occupation of the 4th precinct ended and onto the next step.”

Everything We Know the Minneapolis Shooting So Far - Jawbreaker

5. Protests and community efforts will continue.

Despite of this tragedy, activists involved made it clear they will not be deterred and will continue to protest until local law officials cooperate with their demands in the death of Jamar Clark.  A community concert is scheduled for 5 p.m. Tuesday in hopes it will help promote healing and unity.

Ariel Leconte

Ariel Leconte

Ariel is the Associate Editor of Jawbreaker and creator of Revolutionary In Pink Pumps blog. She is equally obsessed with social justice, lipstick, culture, and red wine.